Monday, September 28, 2009

Bienvenidos a Colombia

This was Sunday riding the streets of Downtown Bogotá



One of the gyms were the Olympic athletes workout.


The Aquatics Center, this is were I work.


The Aquatics Center


We were waiting for the President of the Colombian Olympic Committee to come and welcome us... and I got a little bored.



There are military police every where you look around here, there is no way I'm going to be able to get coke out of this country, sorry Mom



Street vender's got to love em, I don't have a clue what I'm eating but it sure is good.






Here are a few pictures from the first couple of weeks. It has been fun so far but I sure do miss Jami, Xander, and The Mag. The people here are really nice, they love to stare at us and whisper grande gringos. The language is coming along I usually just nod my head and say si, there is no telling what I have said yes to. As far as work I mainly work with the swimming, cycling, taekwondo, inline skating, volleyball, and Para Olympic teams. On Sundays in Bogotá they close all of the streets and you're encouraged to go out and ride your bike or run through downtown it is called cyclovia. So Sunday me and my house mates rode 38 miles it was fun but I'm glad thats over. When I first got here I didn't know how much I would be able to go to Church, there are only a few LDS Churches in Bogotá, and taking a cab when you don't speak Spanish isn't the smartest thing to do... thats a story for another time. When we first got to our house we wanted to go walk around the neighborhood to see what it was like, I walked out the front door looked to my right and across the street was the LDS Church. I went to church last week and didn't understand a word for 3 hours straight but it was sure nice to feel the spirit.

3 comments:

Net said...

Wow! Thanks for posting - that is really interesting. You mentioned that you only work on athletes from about 10 different sports --- cos there are more than that?!
And yeah, looking at that pic with you and the guards, I can see why people would say grande gringo! haha. that's awesome.

Mom said...

Thanks for posting. I don't know if I am more worried or less worried with all the police protection around. Looks like an interesting place to visit. Hope you are not drinking the water! Are you washing those fresh fruits and veggies? Post more. I love hearing about your adventure!

Aaron and Julie said...

Sounds like quite an adventure. Glad to hear you are doing well. Hay should you get a chance to go way north to Sincelejo that is where my bro is stationed. He just got there this last week. He is feeling a little out of his element as well, So if you do look up a Elder Samuel Snow!!